Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Mukund

Subject: Planning a long walk from Falmouth to Hugglescote
Posted: 7 Feb 2017 10:19 am

Hi I want to walk from Falmouth to Hugglescote, Leicestershire to celebrate the birth of my new grandchild. I have never done anything like this. In fact I am a total novice. I am doing lots of local walks mainly on roads because I think I would be doing this most my way. But I am looking for any help experienced walkers could share with me in planning this walk.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Route questions
Posted: 9 Feb 2017 1:34 pm

Hi Mukund.

You might like to take a look at the 'Planning your Route' section of my FAQ, here:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/faq.html

The first few questions are probably a bit too LEJOG-specific, but the questions on road walking and cycle routes might be helpful.

I've also moved your message to my public guestbook, in case anyone else visiting my site has any tips.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Peter Birch

Subject: Hugglescote
Posted: 30 Nov 2017 12:59 pm

It's ages since I contributed to this site but I felt I had to reply to you because I lived in Ashburton Road, Hugglescote, between 1961 and 1974. I don't know whether you have done the walk yet but I did LEJOG in 2009 and have my blog still listed on this site, "Gyp tackles LEJOG"
http://gyptackleslejog.blogspot.co.uk/

You could follow my route but I would warn you that the SW Coastpath is very hard work. My knees have never recovered and I got stress fractures in both feet which now ache due to arthritis. I tried to avoid the West Midlands conurbation by going west around it, however, if I was walking to Hugglescote I would be tempted to pick up the Coventry Canal and follow it as far as Shackerstone.

If you haven't done it yet I strongly advise you go for it. It was a real life-changing part of my life and I am still considering doing it again, with my new border collie Jen, but this time taking a more westerly route.

Cheers,
Peter Birch
(Still a City fan!)

Post a Reply