Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Mark Wagner

Subject: Thanks Mark!
Posted: 8 Dec 2004 12:51 am

Hi--

I am a college junior who is interested in doing something like what you did when I graduate. I was wondering how much it cost you to do your 3 month trip and if you earned enough money in australia and zew zealand to make all of these trips. Thanks, you have inspired me!

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Costs
Posted: 9 Dec 2004 2:09 pm

Hi Mark.

It's quite a while ago now, but you should check out my Costs page here for some useful tips:

http://www.moxon.net/travel_tips/travel_costs.html

In the end I saved up about £6000 before I went travelling, and after three years I came back with £2000 in the bank, plus £1000 of SCUBA gear. That makes it an overall cost of £3000 for three years, but bear in mind I got a lot of well-paid work, writing and working for computer companies. A lot of travellers pay their way by picking fruit, which doesn't pay as well.

I also had enough money to buy a car, which saves money in the long run, and enough to act as a safety net when heading off into the unknown. That really helped.

Many people earn enough on the road to keep them going for a while, but it's much easier if you've saved up a wad of cash beforehand. The more you can save, the easier the travelling!

Hope this helps - thanks for posting.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply