Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: maps

Steve

Subject: Silverlight
Posted: 14 Jul 2011 7:27 pm

You're welcome ... glad to hear you're up and running!

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Pubs
Posted: 17 Jul 2011 5:47 pm

I am... and wow, you were right about that pub and accommodation feature. That's brilliant! Worth the effort of registering on its own, that one.

The only thing I don't like is its use of Silverlight, but that's just me being a technology snob. Wink

Mark

Post a Reply

Steve

Subject: Silverlight
Posted: 18 Jul 2011 5:51 pm

I'm not keen on the plug-in requirement either since it means I won't be able to access my maps on my iPad. There are rumours that some 3rd party iPad browsers might support Flash/Silverlight but I've yet to try any.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: iPad gestures
Posted: 21 Jul 2011 8:31 am

As an iPad user, I couldn't agree more. Then again, even HTML/JavaScript-powered sites can be hard to use on touch screens, as there seems to be no concept of hovering over things; my route maps, which run using Google Maps, are a bit fiddly on my iPad, and that's got nothing to do with Flash - they're designed to show labels when you hover over pointers, but I can't work out if that's possible on the iPad. Perhaps I just haven't got my head round all the different gestures - I only found out the other day that scrolling with two fingers scrolls within a pane (such as a Google Map), rather than scrolling the whole web page, so I've clearly got a long way to go. Smile

Mark

Post a Reply

Simon

Subject: Maps
Posted: 18 Dec 2016 2:59 pm

So I managed to walk to the German border with Poland. In Frankfurt an der Oder. Now after a few years I think it's time to do the final leg. To Warsaw !! With regards to maps. I think nowadays an iPhone is all you need.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Europe by iPhone
Posted: 19 Dec 2016 11:21 am

Wow, good job, Simon! That's some walk... Shocked

I'm glad to hear that an iPhone is all you need, as it makes life so much easier to have everything you need in one compact package. When I think of all the weight and space I used to devote to a palmtop computer, camera, phone, maps and compass... and now it's all in one little handheld device. It's amazing. Smile

Enjoy the rest of your walk - brilliant stuff!

Mark

Post a Reply