Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Rod

Subject: Loop Walk
Posted: 3 Jan 2015 2:02 pm

HI,

I just want to thank you for your site and the details of the London Loop and the Capital Ring.

I'm about two thirds around the Loop now and I always check your log first then do my own mental review afterwards.

I intend to start the Ring in between, if the weather is not so good or I don't want or haven't got the time to travel out to the next section of the Loop.

I'd love to do more adventurous walking but this is a good substitute. I was brought up in Yorkshire and miss the Dales a bit but there's always plenty to enjoy as you acknowledge in your pieces.

Thanks Mark. (Don't get too tied up in the house thing!)

Post a Reply

Rod

Subject: Loop Walk
Posted: 8 Jan 2015 8:28 pm

I've just got back from walking the section that finishes at Hamsey Green, one of your favourite finishing points by the sound of it.

It's a long way from home for me as I live in Barnet so I had a good look at transport possibilites and came back from Upper Warlingham station. It's another mile and a bit but not so far out of the way and easier than buses to the Croydon stations I should think. Anyhow, I walked under the railway bridge and there was the usual Loop fingerpost pointing to the station approach.

Perhaps recent publications include this station as a start/finish point. It worked for me. I was back to Victoria in forty mins.

If anyone is planning this section it would be useful.

I'm getting on during the winter but the mud and sliding about is getting a bit tiresome. I think is't the Ring for me on my next midweek day off!

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Loop
Posted: 19 Jan 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Rod.

I'm really glad you're finding my account useful, even if it is a bit dated now. I loved the Loop (and I also enjoyed the Ring), and I found it a perfect solution for the walking blues when I was living in London. I'm glad it's still as good as ever!

I did enjoy the Hamsey Green section, but the transport connections via Croydon weren't much fun, so it's good to know that there's an alternative link now. It's nearly 12 years since I last walked that section, so it's good to see that they're improving things (as they have on the last day of the Loop, which is much better than when I walked it).

Anyway, I'm really glad you're finding my site useful, and thanks for taking the time to post. Enjoy the rest of the Loop... and the Ring. 😀

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod

Subject: Capital Ring
Posted: 12 Mar 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Mark,

First off, I see I have a namesake posting too. I'm Rod H by the way. The other one is aiming for LEJOG. Not me this decade!

I'm getting nicely around the Ring. I like it. You always feel in touch with the key features on the skyline.

I don't know if I'm the only one but the finger board with many routes signed at the South end of the foot tunnel is completely the wrong way round for the Ring. You mention in your notes that the locals like to misdirect but it must have been a deliberate and time consuming activity. Maybe it was some old members of the home guard thinking an invasion was on the cards and thought they would confuse the Russians or something!

Other than that all going well. Seven sections left to get my brownie points.

Regards

Rod H

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Ring
Posted: 16 Mar 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Rod.

Glad you're enjoying the Ring - I loved it too. It's quite different from the Loop, which is much more rural (surprisingly so, I found). The Ring is all about urban spaces and parks, and it was probably the Ring that inspired me to do my tubewalk, more so than the Loop. It's a great walk and very manageable - easy to recommend!

Though that sign by the foot tunnel is probably best ignored. Good job we live in the age of smartphones and Google Maps... 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Posted: 6 Apr 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm bashing along nicely round the Ring.

I've only got a couple of sections left to walk.

I really enjoyed today, a Bank Holiday, from Crystal Palace to Wimbledon Park. The history around Crystal Palace park is fascinating and it's easy to see it in place. I like the development of the stadium too. It's dwarfed by the natural surroundings even though a large capacity stadium.

This was the only day of all the sections when I saw another small party walking the route with their printed out guides like mine. Amazing, it took a Bank Holiday to find someone. That was a sort of up and down of the day. I like a little solitude when walking but today there were more folks around than any other day, as you would expect.

Hey Ho. I want to go back and enjoy the best bits once I've completed it.

Then, now the days are longer, it's back to the LOOP.

Thanks for the section guides and comments.

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Urban crowds
Posted: 15 Apr 2015 9:22 am

Hi Rod.

You know, thinking about it, I don't remember seeing anyone else doing the Ring when I did it, though I did mainly walk on weekdays, so the walking traffic would have been light. I think I spotted at least one other London Loop walker when I did the Loop, but neither of them are particularly busy. I rather like the way that both walks dip in and out of the population like that; one minute you're on a busy high street, and the next you're out in the hills or wandering through parkland. It's all part of the charm of urban walking. 😀

Enjoy going back to the Loop - the weather's looking pretty good so far!

Mark

Post a Reply

rod H

Posted: 18 Apr 2015 10:52 am

Hi Mark,

Good news! I finished the Ring this week. Still nobody around, it's strange.

I think the best section was through Richmond Park. I'd never been before but what a spacious and delightful park. I will go again. A lovely day walking and the weather was perfect.

It was nice to get back to the river. The Thames is a sort of goal/marker all the way round isn't it?

Thanks for your views and info as always.

Back to the LOOP soon.

I want to go back and really appreciate the best parts of the Ring now I've completed it.

I fancy the tube walking too! I never thought walking London would get hold of me like this and be so enjoyable.

Regards,

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Ring, done!
Posted: 22 Apr 2015 11:00 am

Hi Rod.

Congratulations on finishing the Ring! It's a great little walk - I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved Richmond too, though as I got married there, perhaps I'm a bit biased! 😀

It was the Loop and Ring that got me into London walking, so I completely understand being bitten by the bug. Tubewalking is an interesting take on things: out at the end of the Metropolitan and Central lines, it's like the Loop, while most of the rest is like the Ring, until you get to Zone 1, which is fairly unique. Some lines are better than others, but it's a great way to see the capital... and you keep bumping into the Loop and Ring too, which makes it fun if you've already done those walks.

Enjoy the rest of the Loop - hopefully this weather will last... 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: Loop
Posted: 10 May 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments now I've finished the Ring.

I should think Richmond was a good place to get married!

I've been back to the Loop this week, and what a day I had. Stuck out in the back of beyond - for London at least, finishing at Banstead. Only one more stop on that line, Epsom Downs. These are the places heard of on the telly only! It's been so enjoyable linking everything up. The tube walking must have the same effect and intensified.

Still a bit to go on the Loop and looking forward to getting back to the Thames at Kingston on my next outing.

By the way, I just found you on Twitter, being a late starter there myself. Very instant but useful.

Regards,

Rod

Post a Reply