Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Mark Moxon

Subject: The joys of urban walking
Posted: 14 May 2015 8:41 am

Hi Rod.

Crikey, you found me on Twitter? Well done - that must be one of the quietest Twitter accounts out there. I never really warmed to Twitter, to be honest - my days are busy enough already. 😀

You hit the nail on the head with the appeal of tubewalking being to join things up. I loved the way that I'd turn a corner and go, 'Ah! I know where we are!' Places are always closer than you think in London, especially when you're used to exploring it by Tube; then again, I found the same thing with Land's End to John o'Groats, without which my knowledge of northern geography would be completely non-existent!

It's all part of the fun of urban walking. But you know that already... 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: Loop finished
Posted: 6 Aug 2015 1:15 pm

Hi Mark,

I can report that I have finished the LOOP. I have some really nice memories and photos.

I finished at Hatch End close to my starting sections but I didn't mind the Western sections around the airport and the canalside walking was enjoyable.

Guess what next? I'm home today and just checking out your tube walking app. I have an i phone so that's my next venture. The Piccadilly is closest for me so that's my starting point at Cockfosters. Very close to the LOOP footpath that goes down by the side of the station if I remember correctly.

I will give you a short note once I've got going.

Incidentally, I enjoyed a cycle in central London last Saturday for the Prudential Ride London weekend. It has got my cycling bug going again.

Regards,

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Tubewalking
Posted: 10 Aug 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Rod.

Well done on completing the LOOP! 😁 That's another great walk in the bag - I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

Tubewalking is basically an extension of the LOOP and the Ring, but it takes in everything from the centre of town to the countryside around the end of the Metropolitan Line, so there's quite a bit of variety. I didn't love every line - I can't recommend the Bakerloo Line, for example - but I found that when I finished the two official paths, I missed walking in London, and tubewalking hit the spot nicely. In hindsight I could have chosen some better routes for some of the walks, but overall I think it worked pretty well. I'll be interested to hear what you think!

And the Piccadilly Line is great, particularly between Cockfosters and Wood Green - that was one of my favourite stretches, so it's a great place to start. Those stations are just beautiful.

Have fun!

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: Started "Tube Walking"
Posted: 29 Aug 2015 4:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Just a quickie. It's Bank Hols weekend and I've just made a start on the Piccadilly line close to home. A very pleasant stretch around the parks from Trent Park to Bounds Green tube to finish.

It has got me looking at your photos and caught my interest.

I think I will take the opportunity to do some of the short walks in zone one as interesting excursions around town rather than proper "walks." I can fit them in when I have less time too.

All your point of interest look good.

I might take the liberty of changing some routes between stations a bit to fit in with my plans.

I can see it could become addictive again!

Thanks,

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Tubewalking
Posted: 2 Sep 2015 11:08 am

Hi Rod.

Yeah, that stretch along the top end of the Piccadilly Line is great - the station buildings are particularly fun. It's a good choice for a first tubewalk!

I should point out that in no way do my walks take in everything that's on offer, and they often don't even take the best route (sometimes you have to walk somewhere to discover the best places, but I planned them all in advance, and sometimes that didn't quite work out). But they're not a bad place to start... and they're free. 😀

I hope you enjoy it! It is, indeed, quite addictive.

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: tube walking
Posted: 3 Sep 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Mark,

I've been off again today, great photos of Ally Pally, I put one or two on Twitter.

I made a jump into central London and read your piece about Stanfords on Long Acre. I have a story about that. I must have told you that my wife died suddenly last year and walking was one of our loves, however, when I first met her she was a shorthand typist for George Phillips, I think it was then, anyway, she worked on the first floor at Stanfords, Long Acre. After we moved back to London five years ago we went down to have a look for memory's sake and had a look around the shop. Carole had fond memories of the place and externally it is pretty much unchanged although no offices on the first floor it's all shop floor.

I have my own photos of it.

You will have made use of their expertise with your globetrotting over the years.

When Carole and I were first married we would be in the car going somewhere and a lorry would go by and Carole would say: "We used to write to them."

Ah well, I'm going on when I just wanted to write a quickie.

Don't worry about a reply, Mark, I'll post again when I've got a few more stations under my belt...

Best

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Stanfords
Posted: 15 Sep 2015 3:13 pm

Hi Rod.

Ah, Stanfords. Love the place... though to be totally honest, these days I tend to find the internet rather more useful when looking for obscure travel information. Though that might have more to do with the fact that I live outside London these days, so it's a bit of an effort to pop into Covent Garden.

Still love that place, though! 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: tube walking
Posted: 30 Oct 2015 5:10 pm

HI Mark,

I haven't posted for a while as I don't seem to have had the time for much tubewalking but I am making progress nonetheless.

I've gone as far as Hyde Park Corner on the Piccadilly and broken off there for the time being to make a start on the Victoria from Walthamstow Central.

I enjoyed the central London history around St James' Palace. The hidden pathways and alleys are a treat too.

I'm making slow progress but enjoying the discoveries. I have a photo record for my own enjoyment. It would be an achievement for me to have a photo of every tube station on the network. I'll be retired by then and walking much more!

Bye for now,

Rod

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Station photos
Posted: 5 Nov 2015 2:32 pm

Hi Rod.

You're right - having a photo of every tube station is a real thrill. I didn't get round to compiling mine until quite a long time after I finished the walk and published the website, but I realised that with a small tweak to my scripts, I could come up with this:

www.tubewalker.com/photo_library/index.php?stations=1&route=all&folder=all&location=All%20Lines&submitted=1

It's one of my favourite pages, as it sums up the whole walk in one list of fascinating photos.

Go for it - it's a great thing to aim for. 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Rod H

Subject: back on the loop
Posted: 22 Sep 2016 8:30 pm

Hi Mark,

I haven't been in touch for over a year, hard to believe.

I haven't made much progress with tube walking but a few more added here and there. It takes time of course.

However, I have started around the Loop for the second time and came back today from section 3 to Hayes and loved it. A perfect, dry and mild September day. Dry under foot through all the woods and fields, several late wild flowers still out - I don't know the variety sorry to say but enjoyable nonetheless. I love the massive redwoods in high elms park.

I hope you are well. I feel a bit of a fraud with these contributors doing Lejog and stuff but I have to do what is accessible and doable if you know what I mean.

Best,

Rod

Post a Reply