Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Jules Forth

Subject: Accommodation on LEJOG
Posted: 20 Sep 2016 3:50 pm

Hello Mark,
First up, thanks so much for writing such a brilliant blog about the walk. It is hugely interesting.
I walked the Thames Trail earlier this year which I really loved. Now I'm looking for a bigger challenge .. much bigger challenge! I'd like to do the LEJOG walk but I'll be doing a lot of it on my own and won't want to camp. Do you know if it's possible to find somewhere to stay every night?
Would be wonderful if you could find the time to reply.
Cheers, Jules
ps I also did a blog about the tame little Thames (in comparison to your big walk, I mean!). If you're interested it's www.julesforth.com/thamestrail

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: To camp or not to camp
Posted: 21 Sep 2016 3:26 pm

Hi Jules.

It certainly is! I spent my nights in B&Bs, hostels and pubs, and left the camping for those fit enough to carry all the extra weight (I did try camping during the first couple of weeks, but I injured my foot and had to send the tent home... which turned out to be a blessing, as it got a lot more enjoyable from that point on). For the most part it was pretty easy to find somewhere to stay, and this was in the days before smart phones, so it's even easier now. Sure, some places need booking ahead, particularly on popular places like the West Highland Way, but you definitely don't need to camp.

It's very old now, but here's the list of places I stayed, just to give you an idea:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/accommodation.html

I much preferred walking without the weight of a tent, I must say - highly recommended. 😀

Thanks also for the blog link. The Thames Path is on my bucket list, so it will no doubt give me itchy feet!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply