Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Susan

Subject: Walk route
Posted: 27 Feb 2017 8:44 pm

Hi
I'm not sure you can help but I want to walk from my home in the Highlands (Muir of Ord) to my sons in the west of Galloway (south Scotland) my question is, do you know of a route from south of Glasgow? I can take the Great Glen way and the WHW down to Glasgow but can't seem to find an off road route further south.

Thanks in anticipation!

Your
Susan.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Routes in southwest Scotland
Posted: 1 Mar 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Susan.

I should say that I don't know this part of the world for walking (I've only explored it by car), but a bit of googling has found this wonderful site, which shows walks for all over Scotland:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Looking at the Ayrshire section:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/ayrshire.shtml

there are lots of trails in the area. Click on them to see trail maps - for example, one you could consider that goes in the right direction is the Ayrshire Coastal Path:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/ayrshire-coastal-path.shtml

which goes from west of Glasgow all the way to Glenapp, just north of Stranraer.

Or you could head southeast from Glasgow until you bump into the Southern Upland Way, which goes east-west across southern Scotland:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/southern-upland-way.shtml

There are lots of options, so take a look and see if you can connect up the trails to get to your destination - I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable route.

I hope this helps, and have a great walk!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply