Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Bren

Subject: Career in Travel Writing
Posted: 16 Dec 2004 8:40 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm new to travel writing. I'm doing a home-study/distance learning course offered by AWAI. Have you heard of them and if so, what is your opinion?

Also, is it, in your opinion, realistic to believe I can support myself full time as a travel writer, assuming I have what it takes to get published in the first place?

I guess I'm just looking for overall advice. I'm attempting to change careers and I enjoy writing, though I am more accustomed to writing screenplays, plays and poems rather than articles. I want to travel overseas (I live in the US and have not left since I was 4 yrs. old) so, this seems like a logical career path for me.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to download your ebook now.

Take care,
Bren

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Advice on travel writing
Posted: 17 Dec 2004 11:08 am

Hi Bren.

Most of the advice I've got for budding travel writers can be found here:

http://www.moxon.net/travel_tips/how_to_be_a_travel_writer.html

I haven't heard of AWAI, but I'm British, so I wouldn't. 😀 I also can;t really say how easy it is to become a full-time travel writer, because I've never been one; I continue to earn my living working with websites, and do the travel writing strictly as a hobby (and that's the way I like it, as it enables me to do things like release eBooks for free, which is hardly a commercial activity).

The best advice I can give is to travel and to write. To earn anything from travel writing you have to become a good travel writer, or you stand no chance at all. Once you've got there, then there's a fair element of luck involved in getting published, but you can help to make your own luck by hawking your stories round the many publications that take travel writing, and by making sure those stories are top notch. The first step, then, is to become good enough to get your foot in the door, and that takes hard work.

It's extremely satisfying, though, and well worth the effort. Best of luck, Bren!

Hope this helps - happy travels. 😀

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Bren

Subject: Thanks
Posted: 17 Dec 2004 2:14 pm

Thanks for the advice, Mark. I checked out the link you posted and it was very helpful. Actually, a lot of the advice there is in my travel writing course too, which is helpful since it confirms my studies.

I'll keep in touch and let you know if it works out for me. Your site is very cool and interesting, so I'll be around a while.

Take care,
Bren

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: You're welcome!
Posted: 17 Dec 2004 5:48 pm

Thanks Bren - glad I could help.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply