Skip to navigation

Tubewalker: The Tube, on Foot

Contact Me: Guestbook

Kkog

Subject: Interesting style
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 7:33 pm

You have an interesting mix of straightforward travel info and philosophical observations (ramblings maybe 😀 on your site. It's nice to read about someone trying to go beyond the usual guidebook fare. I liked your Indonesia section but it seems that the 2-month visa really forces one to prioritise the list of places to visit.

Are the Pelni ships really *that* bad, as regards to cockroaches? I was thinking of taking a Pelni vessel from Nusa Tenggara to Sulawesi, but I might reconsider after reading your description of roach-infested cabins...

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Cockroaches
Posted: 14 Jan 2005 11:11 am

Hi Kkog.

Glad you like the site (and yeah, 'ramblings' is probably an accurate description! 😉).

Re Indonesia, you can easily get round the two-month visa restriction by popping over to, say, Singapore or Malaysia and then coming back into Indonesia for another two months. It does mean you have to plan your trip carefully, but it's not as restrictive as it could be. You should also check for the latest information before going; my last visit to Indonesia was in 2000, and visa rules have a nasty habit of changing.

With regard to Pelni ships, they vary. When I visited, the Flores-Sulawesi ferry was considerably more ramshackle than the Sulawesi-Java ferry, but things will no doubt have changed since I was there. To be honest, after a while in Indonesia on a shoestring budget you'll be used to cockroaches, and while they're unpleasant, they're harmless. If you're that worried, you can always pay more for a better cabin, if there's room. When I was there, the toilets were much more of a hazard than the wildlife; I recommend you take a clothes peg... 😉

Whatever, don't let reports of cockroaches put you off taking a Pelni. It's a fantastic experience in its own right, with or without cockroaches, and you could find that the ferries have improved a lot since I was there. Go for it; you won't regret it.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply